Phase 2: Visioning
Visioning, the second phase of MAPP, guides the community through a collaborative, creative process that leads to a shared community vision and common values.
Vision and values statements provide focus, purpose, and direction to the MAPP process so that participants collectively achieve a shared vision for the future. A shared community vision provides an overarching goal for the community—a statement of what the ideal future looks like. Values are the fundamental principles and beliefs that guide a community-driven planning process.
Because visioning is done at the beginning of the MAPP process, it offers a useful mechanism for convening the community and building enthusiasm for the process, setting the stage for planning, and providing a common framework throughout subsequent phases.
Core Support Team — designs the visioning process, works with the facilitator, prepares for the visioning sessions, records the results of the session, and drafts the resulting vision and values statements.
MAPP Committee — oversees the visioning process and solicits community participation.
Broad Community Involvement — is included in the visioning sessions. This sets the tone for broad participation throughout the MAPP process.
Overview of the Steps for the Visioning Phase
- Identify other visioning efforts by revisiting the inventory of earlier community initiatives. Make connections as needed.
- Design the visioning process and select a facilitator. The facilitator should possess strong facilitation skills and be perceived as neutral and fair.
- Conduct the visioning process. Participants should identify their shared vision by looking five to 10 years into the future. Also address the identification of common values.
- Formulate the vision statement and common values based on the results of the sessions.
- Visioning Invitation Flyer: This colorful flyer invites community residents to join the Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria in a half-day visioning session. The flyer includes information about the MAPP coalition leading the effort, transportation, translation services, childcare, and more.
- Example Invitation to Visioning Meeting: Garrett County, MD Health Department developed this invitation to its visioning meeting. The letter provided partners with background on MAPP and posed questions for invitees to consider before the meeting.
- Example Visioning Survey: The Northern Kentucky District Health Department's MAPP partnership created this tool to help incorporate broad community input into its vision.