Return to Toolbox Main.
The Marin County (CA) Countywide Plan provides a good example of a large metropolitan comprehensive sustainability plan. Implementation of the policies and programs of the Countywide Plan is intended to assist the larger Marin community in achieving the following:
• A Preserved and Restored Natural Environment: Marin watersheds, natural habitats, wildlife corridors, and open space will be protected, restored, and enhanced.
• A Sustainable Agricultural Community: Marin’s working agricultural landscapes will be protected, and the agricultural community will remain viable and successfully produce and market a variety of healthy foods and products.
• A High-Quality Built Environment;
• More-Affordable Housing;
• Less Traffic Congestion;
• A Vibrant Economy;
• A Reduced Ecological Footprint: Marin residents and businesses will increasingly use renewable energy, fuel efficient transportation choices, and green building and business practices similar to the level of Western Europe.
• Collaboration and Partnerships: Marin public agencies, private organizations, and regional partners will reach across jurisdictional boundaries to collaboratively plan for and meet community needs.
• A Healthy and Safe Lifestyle: Marin residents will have access to a proper diet, health care, and opportunities to exercise, and the community will maintain very low tobacco, alcohol, drug abuse, and crime rates.
• A Creative, Diverse, and Just Community; and
• A Community Safe from Climate Change: Marin will be a leader in averting and adapting to all aspects of climate change.
One of the guiding principles of the Marin Countywide Plan is to support public health, safety, and social justice.