Return to Toolbox Main.
View Comments and Ratings
This resource provides an overview of different types of urban heat islands, methods for identifying them, and factors that contribute to their development. It introduces key concepts that are important to understanding and mitigating this phenomenon, as well as additional sources of information.
This resource discusses:
• General features of urban heat islands;
• Surface versus atmospheric heat islands;
• Causes of urban heat island formation;
• Urban heat island impacts on energy consumption, environmental quality, and human health;
• Strategies to Reduce Urban Heat Islands; and
• Resources for further information
By Sandy Van Sant
Important information for anyone working in an urban environment