The 2022 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Retail Food Seminar: Safe Food Prep: It’s in Your Hands was held virtually from September 19-22. Hosted in 2022 by the National Association of County and City Health Officials, this annual retail food protection seminar provides an opportunity for the FDA to discuss retail food issues of mutual concern with our federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial (SLTT) partners. The 2022 seminar had a focus on norovirus, including assessing employee health, investigating norovirus related foodborne illnesses, and implementing successful employee health intervention strategies.
All content from the Seminar is now available at our NEW website: https://virtualcommunities.naccho.org/fdaretailfoodprotection2022/home.
The website hosts the recordings, workshops, and files, along with information on FDA’s Retail Food Teams and stories from the field shared live by attendees. This includes:
- Seminar Content on YouTube: Access ALL recordings of sessions and workshops, including opening and closing remarks, through the new website. Timestamps are included for easy access to specific chapters within each session.
- Risk Factor Study Data Collection Workshop focused on how to design and conduct a Risk Factor Study and cover requirements for Standard 9 of the FDA’s Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards. The workshop helped participants understand different study designs, the FDA’s data collection approach, and gain an overview on how to conduct a data collection. A detailed demonstration on the use of FDA’s Risk Factor Study Database was also included.
- Norovirus Outbreak & Vaccination Developments: A session covers vaccine advancements in norovirus and details response to a 2022 outbreak of the virus in Grand Canyon.
- Assessing Employee Health: Interventions for Retail Food Regulatory Programs: A video from FDA retail food specialists shows several demonstrations regarding how SLTT programs utilize the FDA Food Code’s Chapter 2 – Assessing Employee Health, followed by a panel presentation of FDA’s National Retail Food Executive Leadership team.
- The Retail Food Regulatory Association Collaborative’s presentation highlights how a multi-agency partnership furthers FDA’s New Era of Smarter Food Safety through six primary objectives, featuring recent research showcasing the benefits of joining Retail Programs Standards Networks for SLTTs and findings from a statewide retail food survey.
- Regional Breakout Sessions from each region of the U.S. cover reports on standardizations of FDA’s VNRFRPS in each state or local jurisdiction, along with recognition of jurisdictions that have completed all Standards, including Standard 9 of VNRFRPS.
Visit the website at https://virtualcommunities.naccho.org/fdaretailfoodprotection2022/home.
On behalf of NACCHO, we thank you for attending the 2022 Retail Seminar!
- 2023 FDA Retail Food Protection Seminars – Crowne Plaza in Asheville, NC
- Directory of FDA Retail Food Specialists
- Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative
- NEHA’s NEHA-FDA RFFM Retail Food Regulatory Training Needs Assessment
- FDA: Retail Food Protection
- NACCHO: Food Safety and Defense
- FDA’s New Era of Smarter Food Safety