To help health departments address challenges related to mumps, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in close collaboration with state and local health departments and national mumps experts, has developed new mumps outbreak response guidance and resources:
- Guidance on use of a third dose of MMR vaccine during mumps outbreaks, when implementing the October 2017 ACIP recommendation
- Guidance for optimizing mumps testing, to reduce the number of specimens unnecessarily and improperly collected and tested
- CDC and APHL hosted a webinar on this topic and use of the VPD Laboratory Reference Centers on October 10th. To access the archived webinar, register at the APHL website here.
- Instructional video for providers on proper buccal swab collection
- Mumps Outbreak Communication Toolkit. Health departments can request the toolkit by emailing CDC at firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Mumps Outbreak Communication Toolkit” in the subject line).
- Provider job-aid template, which provides an algorithm to share with clinicians on how to collect the correct specimen depending on timing, symptoms, and patient vaccination status. You can modify this template with your health department’s information and outbreak guidance.
These documents will be continually updated as CDC learns more from your experiences – please send your input, suggestions, or other outbreak material you would like to share with others to email@example.com.