Healthcare Stigma Facing Transgender Individuals is now available as a free, online module as part of the National Coalition for LGBT Health’s LGBT Health Training and Certificate ProgramTM. This module covers the impact of stigma on transgender individuals in healthcare settings. The module also will equip attendees to effectively engage transgender individuals who seek care. Upon successful completion of the module, participants will receive a certificate for 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Participants can take the module at their convenience.
Topics and faculty:
- Data collection, access to care, and HIV prevention and treatment for transgender individuals – Danielle Castro, Project Director, Center of Excellence for Transgender Health
- LGBTQ cultural competency requirements for providers – Alison Gill, Senior Partner, The Parallax Group
- Legal protections for transgender individuals, Section 1557, and the Affordable Care Act – Omar Gonzales-Pagan, Staff Attorney, Lambda Legal
- Insurance practices impacting access to care for transgender individuals – Anand Kalra, Health Program Manager, Transgender Law Center
- Physicians: maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM
- Nurses: 1.5 contact hours
This activity is jointly provided by Postgraduate Institute for Medicine and HealthHIV, in collaboration with the National Coalition for LGBT Health.
Intended Audiences: LGBT health professionals, clinical providers, behavioral health providers, service providers, health policymakers, and consumers.
LGBT Health Training and Certificate Program: The Coalition offers the LGBT Health Training and Certificate ProgramTM, a free professional development CME program for clinical and allied health care providers and support staff to cultivate new skills and gain knowledge to enhance the delivery of quality, cultural competent care to LGBT individuals. AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM are available upon successful completion of each module and the number of credits varies by module. Other modules in the program include:
- Building Trust with LGBT Clients, and
- OUTcompetent: Cultural Competency and the Stigmatization of STDs, HIV, PrEP, and Mental Health.
For more information, please contact: Ryan Meyer – [email protected] or 202.507.4735.