BLOC COVID-19, Building Local Operational Capacity for COVID-19, is a demonstration site project that was launched to support local health departments (LHDs) in building their infection prevention and control capacity. After the first year of this project, a video series was developed from interviews with funded sites to highlight the LHD’s lessons learned, best practices, tools developed, and provide associated resources to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in various high-risk settings for others to consider in their capacity building efforts. The series consists of 7 videos, each no more than 10 minutes.
Click here to view the full series and see below for the specifics on each video!
Video 1: IPC in a County Jail, Non-traditional long term care facilities, and foster homes and host homes
In this video, you will learn how Fort Bend County HHS (TX), Farmington Valley Health District (CT), and City of El Paso PH (TX) managed infection prevention and control in a county jail, non-traditional long-term care facilities, and foster homes and host homes.
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Long-Term Care Facility
- CDC Long-Term Care Facility
- CDC ICAR
- APIC Infection Prevention Guide to Long-Term Care
In this video, you will learn how Stark County Health Department (OH) worked with academic partners during the pandemic to augment its work force with students and provided public health students opportunities to do important and impactful work.
- Practice/Academic Partnership During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Community-Academic Partnerships to Address COVID-19 Inequities: Lessons from the San Francisco Bay Area
In this video, you will learn how Ingham County HD (MI) and Seattle and King County PH (WA) managed infection control and COVID-19 testing in adult family homes and small facilities.
In this video, you will learn how the City of Evanston Department of Health and Human Services (IL) increased their IPC staff capacity by engaging Medical Reserve Corps volunteers and dedicated staff to high-risk facilities, and supported long-term care facilities by reinforcing, educating, and training infection prevention and control practices.
In this video, you will learn how Calhoun County HD (IL) and Prince George’s County HD (MD) partnered with other stakeholders to enhance infection prevention and control.
- Partnership Accelerator- Stakeholder Engagement and Partnership during and beyond COVID-19
- Partnership Accelerator 2030 Agenda: Learning Library
- COVID-19: Patient & Stakeholder Engagement Resources
In this video, you will learn how Lincoln-Lancaster County HD (NE) and Richmond and Henrico Health Districts (VA) addressed challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CDC Information for Health Departments on Reporting Cases of COVID-19
- CDC COVID-19 Electronic Case Reporting for Public Health
In this video, you will learn about materials developed by Contra Costa Health Services (CA) and San Juan Basin PH (CO) to reinforce principles of infection prevention and control among staff at long-term facilities.