Shots at the Shop Initiative
To those barbershops and hair salons who have already submitted a registration form and watched the video orientation – Congratulations! Please see the “How to Connect with Your Local Health Department” section below.
Shots at the Shop is a White House-backed effort from the University of Maryland’s Maryland Center for Health Equity, the Black Coalition Against COVID, the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) and the beauty and personal care brand SheaMoisture to recruit and select 1,000 Black-owned barbershops and hair salons nationwide to promote informed decision-making as a means to increase COVID-19 vaccinations.
Lead by Stephen B. Thomas, PhD, director of the Maryland Center for Health Equity, and building on the Health Advocates In-Reach and Research (HAIR) campaign, the Shots at the Shop program will also train Black hairstylists and barbers to dispel myths and disinformation about COVID-19.
Barbers and stylists from across the US are invited to apply for a $1,000 grant provided by SheaMoisture.
*Please note that registration is currently closed and businesses can request to be waitlisted for the next funding cycle at [email protected].
Selected shops will:
- Attend a four-hour online Rapid Response Training Program: From Vaccine Hesitancy to Vaccine Confidence. The training program will prepare barbers and stylists to conduct fact-based conversations with clients with the intent of reaching the “vaccine undecided” by answering common questions and referring their clients to resources to help them make the best decision for themselves, their families and their community.
- Provide COVID vaccine materials and locations of vaccination clinical sites in their shops.
- Hold on-site vaccination clinics partnering with your local health department and with support from the “[email protected] Shop” team and NACCHO.
Want to learn more? Watch the video below or on YouTube.
- For detailed information about each step in the process, please visit https://sph.umd.edu/shotsattheshop
- If you have questions and/or need any further information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions or reach out to us directly at [email protected].
- Email SheaMoisture with any questions at [email protected].
We encourage registered shops to reach out to your city or county health department to coordinate your efforts, including to hold on-site vaccination clinics. If you do not have their contact information, you can do the following:
- Download NACCHO's Local Health Department COVID-19 Directory, which lists local health departments by state and provides contact information. This is specific to each departments COVID response efforts including local and or state COVID hotlines, and links to each health department’s COVID response activities or resources.
- Visit NACCHO's Local Health Department Directory. This map allows you to search by zip code or simply filter by state. If searching by zip-code, please make sure to use the drop-down box to widen your search radius if your local health department does not immediately appear.
- Contact us with any questions about connecting with your local health department: [email protected].
Have questions about NACCHO’s COVID response efforts and activities?
Please visit NACCHO's COVID-19 response webpage to learn more about NACCHO's response.