This fact sheet from NASTAD and Reframe Health and Justice outlines five core competencies for service providers that are currently operating or working to develop harm reduction programs that serve people engaged in sex work. Health departments, community-based organizations, and partners are encouraged to consult these resources in their efforts to advance sex worker health.
The core competencies key to a holistic, effective approach to sex worker-centered harm reduction include:
- Be informed of the local sex trade and surrounding anti-trafficking, prostitution, and third-party laws;
- Prioritize non-carceral violence prevention and response;
- Develop organizational policies to protect participants and staff;
- Distribute a variety of resources and supplies (along with condoms); and
- Work through an anti-stigma lens