Tobacco-Use Prevention and Control
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death and disease in the United States. NACCHO collaborates with national, federal, state, and local organizations to provide local health departments with the resources they need to reduce tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke in their communities.
Check out the latest updates from our program in the NACCHO blog.
- Health & Disability
- Infectious Disease
- Maternal, Child, & Adolescent Health
- Tobacco-Use Prevention
Best For You, Best For Baby: Five Tips for Preventing...
Expectant parents receive a barrage of messages on how to keep their babies...
Jan 13, 2020 | Michelle Shapiro
Best For You, Best For Baby: Five Tips for Preventing...
Resources and support cover a range of issues, including tobacco cessation, prevention of youth initiation, secondhand smoke prevention, electronic smoking devices, and other emerging products, public smoking ordinances, tobacco retailer assessment and licensing, smoke-free housing, and more.
The following resources were developed by NACCHO alongside our partners.
This report to apply the recommendations of CDC’s best practices to the specific needs and realities of tobacco control programs at the local level.
Information on supporting, leveraging and expanding use of CDC's Tips from Former Smokers™ Campaign
If you are searching for additional resources, try searching the NACCHO Toolbox, our library for local health department tools and toolkits. You can use the filters to search for tools related to tobacco.
- CDC's Tobacco page: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/
- CDC's Best Practices for Tobacco Control (2015): https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- FDA's Tobacco page: https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-pr...
- HHS: Tobacco, A Priority: https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongen...
- Americans for Nonsmokers Rights: https://no-smoke.org/materials...
- American Lung Association Policy Statement: https://www.lung.org/policy-advocacy/tobacco/cessation/technical-assistance/hospital-community-benefits/make-the-case
- Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network: Tobacco Control Policy tool: https://tobaccopolicyeffects.o...
- ASTHO's Tobacco page: https://www.astho.org/Programs/Prevention/Tobacco/
- National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI): https://nnphi.org/
- NNPHI's Tool: Advancing Tobacco Prevention and Control in Rural America (2019): https://nnphi.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/AdvancingTobaccoPreventionControlRuralAmerica.pdf
- The Guide to Community Preventive Services: https://www.thecommunityguide....
- Tobacco Use and Secondhand Smoke Exposure: Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/findings/tobacco-use-and-secondhand-smoke-exposure-comprehensive-tobacco-control-programs
- Tobacco Use and Secondhand Smoke Exposure: Mass-Reach Health Communication Interventions: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/findings/tobacco-use-and-secondhand-smoke-exposure-mass-reach-health-communication-interventions
Image (above) caption: This image depicted a test tube rack that had been stocked with examples of various electronic cigarettes, referred to as e-cigarettes, or e-cigs, and vaping pens. These items would undergo testing inside a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) laboratory environment. (Credit: Lauren Bishop / CDC)
NACCHO regularly hosts tobacco prevention and control webinars to share best practices and the latest changes in policy around the country. Below please find recordings and additional resources from past events.
These recommendations are designed to help local decision-makers and health planners select and fund evidence-based interventions to reduce and prevent tobacco use, identify and eliminate health disparities related to tobacco use, and protect people from secondhand smoke.
- Best Practices User Guide: Cessation: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- Best Practices User Guide: Health Communications: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- Best Practices User Guide: Health Equity: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- Best Practices User Guide: Program Infrastructure: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- Best Practices User Guide: Youth Engagement: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/st...
- Tips From Former Smokers-CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/ca...
- CDC Office on Smoking and Health Media Network Reaching Rural Communities Resources ListJuly 19, 2018Updated: April 18, 2019:
- Tobacco Control Network
- 2016 Policy Recommendations Guide: http://tobaccocontrolnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/TCN-2016-Policy-Recommendations-Guide.pdf
- American Journal of Public Health
- A Framework for Public Health Action: http://www.tctcollab.com/asset...
- The Community Guide
Success Stories and Stories from the Field provide a means for local health departments to share their experiences and demonstrate the value of public health. Read the latest tobacco stories below!
Submit Your Story: Interested in sharing your story with other NACCHO members? Let us know by filling out our interest form.
Overview of NACCHO Rural Tobacco Environmental Scan & hear from rural LHDs on their tobacco programs
The following policy statements show NACCHO's support for curbing tobacco use at the national level:
- How Local Health Departments Can Support Smoke-Free Housing Policies
- Tobacco Prevention
- Local Tobacco and Vaping Control Regulations
- Opposition to Preemption of Local Tobacco Control Regulations
- Supporting Local Legislation to Ban Hookah Smoking
You can find all of the policies and examples of letters to Congress, on the policies page.
For more information regarding our tobacco-use prevention and control program and resources, email chronicdisease [at] naccho [dot] org or reach out to one of our program staff members below.
Community Health Program
Senior Program Analyst, Chronic Disease