Management Essentials, created with generous support from the CDC, is a suite of courses designed to enhance the essential management skills of health department leaders to address today’s complex, real-world issues.
The four courses in this suite comprise both virtual live-learning and asynchronous eLearning formats, focusing on successful people management, financial management, change management, and strategic planning.
Whether you are new to management or would like to sharpen your skills, this training series offers courses that will assist you in fine-tuning your management style. Courses include:
Application for Management Essentials: Successful People Management Spring 2023 is Now Open until Tuesday, March 28, 2023
NACCHO will be offering the synchronous Successful People Management on Wednesdays 1-2:30pm ET between April 5-May 17, 2023. As part of the Management Essentials suite of courses, NACCHO has trained over 100 local health department staff in Successful People Management, which focuses on fundamental concepts and techniques of people management, including how to delegate effectively and adopt best practices that drive results. In-depth training combined with interactive activities will take participants through the key principles of motivation, delegation, coaching, communication, performance management, and leadership.
to take this course has now opened. The information collected in this form will help us to create a class cohort that has diverse representation from our members. Please note: Due to limited spots, this form does not yet guarantee sign up. We will send acceptances no later than Wednesday March 29th with official course sign up details if we are able to add you to our roster. Thank you, and if you have any questions, please contact Mona Poblete, [email protected].
The deadline to fill out this form is Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 5:30pm ET.
- Fundamentals of Financial Management (Live learning): Key financial management skills will be explored, including how to manage budgets and interpret financial statements, and will share tools to monitor and control spending. This fundamentals course will provide a solid foundation in financial management, types of budgets and business investments, and how to identify and improve your company’s financial situation or performance. In-depth training combined with interactive activities will take participants through the financial accounting principles and processes in creating and reporting their organization’s financial statements. NACCHO has trained over 100 local health department staff in the Fundamentals of Financial Management.
- Change Management (Live Learning and NACCHO University eLearning): The need for effective change management skills is rising to the forefront of public health leadership, and has been identified as a critical knowledge area for a high-performance public workforce. This six-module course introduces key concepts in change management theory and practice and offers tools, resources, and real-world examples that all health departments can use to adapt the process to their needs. The course can be accessed here: https://www.pathlms.com/naccho/courses/24251. For more information on change management, visit NACCHO’s Change Management Webpage.
- * NEW! * Strategic Planning (Live Learning and NACCHO University eLearning): This seven-module course uses tools, resources, and real-world public health examples to introduce the strategic planning process and its six basic steps, taking into consideration the unique environment of local public health departments. We encourage local health departments that anticipate completing a strategic planning process to enroll in this course, which can be accessed at https://www.pathlms.com/naccho/courses/37126. For more information on strategic planning, visit NACCHO’s Strategic Planning Webpage.
NACCHO plans to open registration for the following live-learning courses in Spring 2022.
- Successful People Management (March 2022)
- * NEW! * Strategic Planning (April 2022)
- * NEW! * Change Management (May 2022)
Please check back here for information on registration and course dates. If you have any questions regarding these courses, please email Mona Poblete at [email protected].
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals: A consensus set of skills for the broad practice of public health, as defined by the 10 Essential Public Health Services. These Core Competencies reflect foundational skills desirable for professionals engaging in the practice, education, and research of public health, and are organized into eight domains, reflecting skill areas within public health, and three tiers, representing career stages for public health professionals.
NACCHO offers many resources related to management, some of which can be found within our other programs below.
Public Health Infrastructure and Systems
Director, Workforce Development