Management Essentials, created with generous support from the CDC, is a suite of courses designed to enhance the essential management skills of health department leaders to address today’s complex, real-world issues.
The four courses in this suite comprise both virtual live-learning and asynchronous eLearning formats, focusing on successful people management, financial management, change management, and strategic planning.
RFP: Fundamentals of Financial Management Course Update
Submissions Due: Monday October 17, 2022, by 11:59 PM ET
Project Period: January 1, 2023, to July 31, 2023
With support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) is announcing a request for proposals to update the Management Essentials Fundamentals of Financial Management course. The selected consultant will be awarded up to $25,000 to update this virtual instructor led training (VILT) course and ensure that the course speaks to the current and future financial management needs of LHDs, including how to manage budgets and how to leverage and interpret financial data and statements, and receive tools to monitor and control spending. Please see the attached RFP for additional details. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Bianca Lawrence at [email protected].
Whether you are new to management or would like to sharpen your skills, this training series offers courses that will assist you in fine-tuning your management style. Courses include:
- Successful People Management (Live Learning): NACCHO has trained over 100 local health department staff in Successful People Management, which focuses on fundamental concepts and techniques of people management, including how to delegate effectively and adopt best practices that drive results. In-depth training combined with interactive activities will take participants through the key principles of motivation, delegation, coaching, communication, performance management, and leadership.
- Fundamentals of Financial Management (Live learning): Key financial management skills will be explored, including how to manage budgets and interpret financial statements, and will share tools to monitor and control spending. This fundamentals course will provide a solid foundation in financial management, types of budgets and business investments, and how to identify and improve your company’s financial situation or performance. In-depth training combined with interactive activities will take participants through the financial accounting principles and processes in creating and reporting their organization’s financial statements. NACCHO has trained over 100 local health department staff in the Fundamentals of Financial Management.
- Change Management (Live Learning and NACCHO University eLearning): The need for effective change management skills is rising to the forefront of public health leadership, and has been identified as a critical knowledge area for a high-performance public workforce. This six-module course introduces key concepts in change management theory and practice and offers tools, resources, and real-world examples that all health departments can use to adapt the process to their needs. The course can be accessed here: https://www.pathlms.com/naccho/courses/24251. For more information on change management, visit NACCHO’s Change Management Webpage.
- * NEW! * Strategic Planning (Live Learning and NACCHO University eLearning): This seven-module course uses tools, resources, and real-world public health examples to introduce the strategic planning process and its six basic steps, taking into consideration the unique environment of local public health departments. We encourage local health departments that anticipate completing a strategic planning process to enroll in this course, which can be accessed at https://www.pathlms.com/naccho/courses/37126. For more information on strategic planning, visit NACCHO’s Strategic Planning Webpage.
NACCHO plans to open registration for the following live-learning courses in Spring 2022.
- Successful People Management (March 2022)
- * NEW! * Strategic Planning (April 2022)
- * NEW! * Change Management (May 2022)
Please check back here for information on registration and course dates. If you have any questions regarding these courses, please email Elaina Perry at [email protected].
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals: A consensus set of skills for the broad practice of public health, as defined by the 10 Essential Public Health Services. These Core Competencies reflect foundational skills desirable for professionals engaging in the practice, education, and research of public health, and are organized into eight domains, reflecting skill areas within public health, and three tiers, representing career stages for public health professionals.
NACCHO offers many resources related to management, some of which can be found within our other programs below.
Public Health Infrastructure and Systems
Director, Workforce Development