On Tuesday, September 12, the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) hosted a webinar to discuss Data Utilization for Local Health Departments (LHDs).
Lauren Wattenmaker, team lead for Policy and Operations at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)‘s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN), covered the benefits of LHD access to NHSN data regarding healthcare-associated infection (HAI) and antimicrobial resistance (AR) prevention work. Wattenmaker also discusses NHSN capabilities and functionalities geared toward local jurisdictions.
This webinar also highlighted a few LHDs that have utilized NHSN and shares what steps they took to gain access to NHSN system data.
To view the webinar recording, click here.
A supplementary blog, “What is NHSN and How Can LHDs Better Utilize This System: A Q&A with CDC,” provides answers from to common questions from local health departments (LHDs), including:
- What should LHDs know about NHSN?
- What are the options for a LHD to access NHSN data and the pros and cons for each of these options?
- How can LHDs request access to datasets from NHSN?
- After NHSN access is granted, what kind of datasets or information can the LHDs expect to receive?
- What have you heard from LHDs about how they use data from NHSN? Any specific information about using data obtained via a dataset request?