On September 29, Congress passed a continuing resolution to fund the Federal Government through December 9. Included in the package was $1.1 billion for Zika. Department of Health and Human Services has released a report Zika Supplemental Funding Spend Plan.
On July 14, the House Appropriations Committee passed its FY2017 Labor, HHS, Education Appropriations bill, providing $77 billion for HHS, a $2 billion increase over FY2016. The bill includes $8 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an increase of $605 million from FY2016.
On June 9, the Senate Appropriations Committee passed its FY2017 Labor, HHS, Education Appropriations bill, providing $77 billion for HHS, a $1.4 billion increase above FY2016. The bill includes $7 billion for CDC, a cut of $118 million from FY2016.
NACCHO's complete analysis is here:
- Comparison of House and Senate bills
- House bill | House Committee Report (Public health excerpts)
- Senate bill | Senate Committee Report (Public health excerpts)
- Chart of proposed FY2017 allocation of the Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF)
Final action on FY2017 appropriations is now stalled until after the November elections. To take action on FY2017 appropriations, go to NACCHO's Legislative Action Center.
- NACCHO FY2017 Funding Requests (compared to President's Budget Proposal)
- 317 Immunization Program
- Chronic Disease
- Emergency Preparedness
- Environmental Health
- Antibiotic Resistance
- HIV, STI, and Viral Hepatitis
- Local Health Department Infrastructure & Workforce
- Opioid and Prescription Drug Overdose
- Prevention and Public Health Fund
- Zika Virus
- Federal Funding Infographic: How money reaches local health departments from the federal government.
- NACCHO has submitted testimony to Labor, Health & Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee requesting funding for programs that support local health departments
- NACCHO Video: Roadmap to the Federal Budget
|Program||FY2016||FY2017 President's Budget||FY2017 Senate||FY2017 House||NACCHO Request|
|Prevention and Public Health Fund||932||1000||891||908||1,000|
|Public Health Emergency PreparednessCooperative Agreement||660||660||660||705||675|
|Hospital Preparedness Program||255||255||255||255||300|
|Medical Reserve Corps||6||6||6||6||11|
|Section 317 Immunization Program||611 (324)||561 (336)||611 (324)||561 (337)||650|
|Core Infectious Disease||393 160*||428 200*||396 163*||491 160*||428 200*|
|Epidemiology and Lab Capacity Grants||110 (40)||110 (40)||110 (40)||110 (40)||110|
|Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention||160 (73)||160 (73)||130 (73)||175 (76)||160|
|Diabetes Prevention||170 (73)||170 (73)||130 (73)||185 (80)||170|
|Prescription Drug Overdose||70||80||98||90||80|
|Preventive Health & Health Services Block Grant||160 (160)||0||160 (160)||160 (160)||170|
|CDC Food Safety||52||52||48||52||55|
|Public Health Workforce||52||57||50||45||57|
|() Dollar amount from Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF)|
|*Amount for antibiotic resistance|