On September 29, Congress passed a continuing resolution to fund the Federal Government through December 9. Included in the package was $1.1 billion for Zika. Department of Health and Human Services has released a report Zika Supplemental Funding Spend Plan.
On July 14, the House Appropriations Committee passed its FY2017 Labor, HHS, Education Appropriations bill, providing $77 billion for HHS, a $2 billion increase over FY2016. The bill includes $8 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an increase of $605 million from FY2016.
On June 9, the Senate Appropriations Committee passed its FY2017 Labor, HHS, Education Appropriations bill, providing $77 billion for HHS, a $1.4 billion increase above FY2016. The bill includes $7 billion for CDC, a cut of $118 million from FY2016.
NACCHO's complete analysis is here:
- Comparison of House and Senate bills
- House bill | House Committee Report (Public health excerpts)
- Senate bill | Senate Committee Report (Public health excerpts)
- Chart of proposed FY2017 allocation of the Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF)
To take action on FY2017 appropriations, go to NACCHO's Legislative Action Center.
- Overall Federal Funding Chart
- About CDC
- 317 Immunization Program
- Chronic Disease
- Emergency Preparedness
- Environmental Health
- Antibiotic Resistance
- HIV, STI, and Viral Hepatitis
- Local Health Department Infrastructure & Workforce
- Opioid and Prescription Drug Overdose
- Prevention and Public Health Fund
- Zika Virus
- Federal Funding Chart: Public Health programs funded by the federal government
- Federal Funding Infographic: How money reaches local health departments from the federal government.
- NACCHO has submitted testimony to Labor, Health & Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee requesting funding for programs that support local health departments
- NACCHO Video: Roadmap to the Federal Budget
|Program||FY2016||FY2017 President's Budget||FY2017 Senate||FY2017 House||NACCHO Request|
|Prevention and Public Health Fund||932||1000||891||908||1,000|
|Public Health Emergency PreparednessCooperative Agreement||660||660||660||705||705|
|Hospital Preparedness Program||255||255||255||255||300|
|Medical Reserve Corps||6||6||6||6||11|
|Section 317 Immunization Program||611 (324)||561 (336)||611 (324)||561 (337)||650|
|Core Infectious Disease||393 160*||428 200*||396 163*||491 160*||428 200*|
|Epidemiology and Lab Capacity Grants||110 (40)||110 (40)||110 (40)||110 (40)||110|
|Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention||160 (73)||160 (73)||130 (73)||175 (76)||160|
|Diabetes Prevention||170 (73)||170 (73)||130 (73)||185 (80)||170|
|Prescription Drug Overdose||70||80||98||90||80|
|Preventive Health & Health Services Block Grant||160 (160)||0||160 (160)||160 (160)||170|
|CDC Food Safety||52||52||48||52||55|
|Public Health Workforce||52||57||50||45||57|
|() Dollar amount from Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF)|
|*Amount for antibiotic resistance|