CDC is pleased to announce the release of new tuberculosis (TB) resources to increase awareness about the TB screening and attestation requirements of the Uniting for Ukraine program. CDC conducted a needs assessment with arrivals and community-based organizations and used the findings to develop communications resources encouraging arrivals to get tested for TB. Resources are available in Ukrainian, Russian, and English and include:
- A conversation guide for talking with your clients about screening for TB (Ukrainian, Russian, and English),
- A fact sheet (Ukrainian/English and Russian/English),
- A flyer (Ukrainian/English and Russian/English),
- A poster (Ukrainian/English and Russian/English),
- Sample newsletter content (Ukrainian, Russian, and English),
- Sample text message content (Ukrainian, Russian, and English), and
- Sample social media posts (Ukrainian, Russian, and English).
On May 21, 2022, President Biden signed into law emergency supplemental appropriations that included funds for medical support, screening, and other public health activities related to populations displaced from Ukraine. The Uniting for Ukraine program is a pathway for Ukrainian citizens to come to the United States and stay temporarily for a two-year period. People participating in the program must meet specific health requirements, including vaccinations and TB testing and attestation to the U.S. Immigration and Refugee Services.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, 149,980 beneficiaries have arrived in the United States under the Uniting for Ukraine program as of August 29, 2023, and this number continues to grow. While many arrivals have completed the TB screening requirement, others have shared challenges such as language barriers, cost, and lack of awareness on how and where to get tested for TB.
We encourage you to use these resources in your communication and outreach efforts about the Uniting for Ukraine TB screening and attestation requirement. The materials can be adapted to promote local TB testing events, resources, and share information for arrivals and their sponsors. Here are some ideas to help spread the word:
- Post key messages and resources for people arriving from Ukraine and their sponsors on social media.
- Use the sample newsletter content and sample text message content to share TB testing information.
- Order free print copies through CDC On Demand or download and distribute free education materials for people arriving from Ukraine and their sponsors at meetings, health fairs, and other community events.