Marketing and Communication
- MAPP Overview PowerPoint: This is the foundational PowerPoint NACCHO uses to introduce local health departments to the MAPP process.
- Orienting System Partners to MAPP PowerPoint: Based off the MAPP Overview PowerPoint, this version provides more information about what public health is and why system partners may be interested in an effort focused on public health. The presentation begins based on an assumption that public health system partners may not see themselves as part of the public health system.
- Orienting Local Health Department Staff to MAPP PowerPoint: Orienting local health department staff not directly involved in coordinating the MAPP process is as important as orienting your community partners if a new way of doing business is going to take hold in public health. This PowerPoint is designed to assist a health director or MAPP coordinator share information about the MAPP process with a focus on the implications for the wider health department staff.
Drafting a Marketing Plan
- Example Marketing Plan Outline: The Kentucky Public Health Association (KPHA) created this marketing plan outline to identify its goals and strategies for promoting KPHA. This five-page document includes introduction and goals, a target audience profile, communication objective, work plan, and thoughts on evaluation.
- Example Marketing Plan: This 11-page document explores Northern Kentucky District Health Department's marketing approach and includes a detailed work plan and list of implementation strategies.
- Tool - Media and Communications Plan
This modifiable tool was created by the Healthy! CapitalCounties (MI) partnership and describes their 2012 media and communications plan for their community health improvement process.
Getting Your Message Out
- MAPP Overview for System Partners Fact Sheet: Developed by NACCHO staff, this fact sheet describes what MAPP is for partners that many not yet consider themselves part of the local public health system. MAPP coordinators may want to use this fact sheet as part of a packet of information for potential MAPP partners or sponsors.
- Promotional MAPP Presentation: This 20-minute presentation describes the entire MAPP process and philosophy. It can be used as an internal or external marketing tool.
- Example Media Announcement: This media announcement was disseminated by the Metropolitan Nashville/Davidson County Health Department on behalf of the Healthy Nashville 2010 initiative. The announcement not only promotes Nashville's MAPP efforts but also demonstrates the mayor's support of the process.
- Example Program Flyer: This flyer was created in San Antonio to alert the community to a merger between two local health organizations. The flyer compares the new and previous organizational structures and explains what changes the community should expect.
- Example MAPP Fact Sheet: This factsheet describes why and how El Paso County, CO, began the MAPP process and its accomplishments to date. The El Paso County Department of Health and Environment used this factsheet to inform the community and other interested groups about its MAPP efforts.
Communications templates and tools
- Engaging the Media Tip Sheet: This two-page document provides helpful hints for engaging the media; from guidelines on crafting briefings and press releases to interviewing tips
- Press Releases and Public Service Announcements: This modifiable tools is a press release used by one community to advertise their community health survey that sought input from community members (Submitted by Kittitas County Public Health Department, WA).
- This modifiable tool is a press release used by one community to advertise and raise awareness about an upcoming community member open house forum (Submitted by Kittitas County Public Health Department, WA).
- This modifiable tool is one community's 60 second and 30 second public service announcement used to spread awareness about their upcoming community member open house forum (Submitted by Kittitas County Public Health Department, WA).
- Spitfire Strategies Communication Tools: Spitfire Strategies offers nonprofits and foundations communications planning, counsel, and training to help them create positive social change. The Spitfire Web site includes a series of free, downloadable tools and resources for building communications capacity. Spitfire Strategies also offers fee-associated communications services.
- MAPP as a Tool for Social Justice Presentation: Developed by the Chicago Department of Health, this 30-minute PowerPoint presentation provides an overview of MAPP and describes how Chicago's MAPP process was implemented with an emphasis on social justice and how the MAPP process led to changes in public health practice in Chicago.