MRC Deployment Readiness Resources
MRC units are positioned to support public health and emergency responses in their local communities.
The MRC Deployment Readiness Guide provides a common set of tools for MRC unit leaders to develop the capabilities of their MRC volunteers to support medical and public health emergency responses. The tools included in this guide provide a national recommended standard that can also be modified to fit the unique mission of individual MRC units. These standards can also be shared with emergency response partners to demonstrate the capabilities of MRC volunteers.
In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, NACCHO awarded 2020 COVID-19 Operational Readiness Awards (ORA) to 32 MRC units to develop COVID-19 response specific mission sets. Sample mission sets collected from COVID-19 ORA awardees are now available in the new MRC Fact Sheet: COVID-19 Mission Sets for Emergency Response.
In 2019, the NACCHO MRC Team released the 2019 MRC Deployment Readiness Guide, which includes a suite of new deployment readiness resources for MRC unit leaders and volunteers:
- Volunteer Tier Level Recommendations
- Deployment Readiness Checklist for Unit Leaders
- MRC Volunteer Core Competency Training Plan
- MRC Volunteer Deployment Readiness e-Learnings
- Mission Sets
NACCHO appreciates the contributions received to develop these resources and recognizes members of the NACCHO MRC Advisory Group and 7 MRC units that served as pilot sites for the NACCHO MRC Deployment Readiness project. For more information on the pilot sites project, see the MRC Deployment-Ready Pilot Site Project Fact Sheet
To support MRC Volunteer Management, NACCHO developed National Volunteer Tier Level Recommendations and a series of Deployment Readiness Checklists for Unit Leaders:
- Volunteer Tier Level Recommendations - The MRC volunteer tier levels were developed to identify national standards for MRC volunteers based on emergency response training and experience. This tier structure is adapted from an original structure developed for Virginia MRC units and can be modified based on your unit's needs. Find the full MRC tier structure on page 9 of the Deployment Readiness Guide.
- Deployment Readiness Checklist for Unit Leaders - The checklists cover all three phases of deployment and include a non-exhaustive yet comprehensive list of deployment activities including administration, training, equipment, response operations, and medical/safety activities. Examples and resources are also listed throughout the document. Find the Deployment Readiness Checklist on page 10 of the Deployment Readiness Guide.
NACCHO, in collaboration with the MRC Program, developed a competency set for MRC Volunteers based on the Competencies for Disaster Medicine and Public Health (DMPH).
The DMPH Competencies are designed specifically for disaster and public health preparedness, response, and management. They are widely understood to define the knowledge and skills needed for healthcare professionals and first responders to perform a task in a safe and consistent manner.
Learn about the MRC Core Competencies for MRC volunteers and resources available to implement a training plan:
NACCHO has also developed 2 MRC Volunteer eLearnings for MRC volunteers to develop foundational knowledge of what to expect before, during, and after deployments. Visit NACCHO University or MRC TRAIN to access the eLearnings from your laptop or mobile devices.
To support unit capability development, NACCHO developed MRC Mission Sets:
Mission Sets – Response Types (14) – The term ‘mission set’ describes a scalable response and recovery capability for MRC units and volunteers that is organized, developed, trained, and exercised prior to an emergency or disaster for local, state, and/or regional deployment purposes. NACCHO's Mission Set Template is available to download here.
The 14 MRC mission sets and accompanying resources available in the Deployment Readiness Guide include:
- Medical Shelter Operations & Non-Medical Shelter Operations
- Alternate Care Site
- Emergency Pharmacy Operations
- Medical Volunteer Coordination Lead
- Medical Surge Team
- Resiliency – Disaster Behavioral Health
- Animal Response
- Responder Rehabilitation
- Emergency Auxiliary Communications
- Community Reception Center
- Family Assistance Center
In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, NACCHO awarded 32 2020 COVID-19 Operational Readiness Awards (ORA) for MRC units to develop COVID-19 response specific mission sets. Examples of some of the mission sets developed are listed below. A COVID-19 Mission Set Fact Sheet will also be released soon.
Public Health Preparedness Program
Director of Preparedness